Pinterest and Book Blogging: Use The Latest Social Media Craze To Your Site’s Advantage

Pinterest and Book Blogging

What is Pinterest?

Pinterest is a social networking site that allows users to curate and develop virtual “pin boards” with pictures and links from around the web. Users can link to sites they find across the internet or they can repin other users pictures and links. Pinterest is very useful for party planning, discovering the latest home décor trends, and oohing and aahing over super cute shoes.

How Can Pinterest Help A Book Blog?

Oddly enough, I find that I am getting almost as many hits on The Well-Read Wife from pinning my posts to Pinterest as I do from posting them to Twitter. At first I found this weird because I have over 2700 Twitter followers and only 57 Pinterest followers. So why am I receiving as nearly as many hits from Pinterest as I am from Twitter? I think it may have something to do with the reasons people use Twitter and Pinterest respectively. I use Twitter to catch up with friends and keep abreast of current events and celebrity gossip. I think people use Pinterest as a resource. What are some great kid friendly recipes? How can I put together an elegant centerpiece for under $10? How about a great DIY project? All of these things can be found on Pinterest with a quick search.

Make Your Pinterest Profile A Resource For Book Lovers

So why wouldn’t someone search for a great book to read? That’s where we book bloggers come in. Pinterest has the potential to be a very useful part of your book blog’s social media plan. Pinterest has the advantage over Twitter and Facebook when it comes to our particular niche, because it promotes the cultivation of information in as simple a way possible. Unlike Facebook, Pinterest users don’t have to restrict their searches to information pinned on their friends’ walls. Users can choose to search the entire site. So while a user may not be following your profile, they can still look at and click your link even if they don’t repin the link or choose to follow your profile.

The graphics included with each pin make the links more enticing to users than looking up and following a hashtag on Twitter (as Tweets are typically just text with a link). Seeing that The Hungers Games is a great book written out in a Tweet is one thing, but seeing The Hunger Games beautiful cover graphic along with a positive review is a completely different experience. Pinterest has the ability to appeal to reader’s visual senses as well as the cerebral.

I have been cultivating 4 Pinterest boards geared toward book lovers.

• Books I Love – This board is where I pin reviews posted on my site of books that I enjoyed. This board is a promotional tool for The Well-Read Wife. Most if not all of the pins are from my site and link back to WellReadWife.com.
  • Clothing and Accessories For Book Lovers – I pin cute and fashionable items that are book or reading related on this board. Sometimes these items might come from posts on the site, but most of the time they are re-pins or links to other sites across the internet.
  • Beautiful Library Spaces – I pin photos of beautiful home libraries and reading spaces on this board.
  • Cakes for Book Lovers – I pin photos of book inspired cakes I have found across the internet on this board.

There are so many possibilities when it comes to Pinterest being a resource for book lovers! Possible board topics include book quotes, books turned into movies, book inspired art, and so much more. As book bloggers, we are very lucky. Because of cover art, we typically have a beautiful graphic to go with each post we write. We need to use that to our advantage and pin away, because it will get the word out about the books we love to a wider audience!

Update: I am making a directory of book bloggers on Pinterest. Please leave a link to your Pinterest profile in the comments section of this post if you would like to be included. If you are a book blogger who is not on Pinterest and would like an invite, send me an email at wellreadwife@gmail.com and I’ll get an invite sent to you.

FYI – Please see this post on Pinterest Etiquette if you are unsure how to use Pinterest correctly or if you are worried that your Pinterest posts could be considered copyright infringement. Also, I believe Pinterest is still invitation only. If you are not on Pinterest yet, simply have a friend that is on it email an invite to you.

Further Reading:

The Nester Pinterest and Blogging: The Good, The Bad, and The Huh? – This post is great. It goes into deep detail about how all Bloggers can use Pinterest to their advantage and it explains the Pin It! button that you can install in your blog posts.

~~

Make sure you don’t miss a thing! If you’re new to The Well-Read Wife, click here to subscribe. Be sure to follow me on Twitter and “like” me on Facebook.

Comments

1. says

Thanks for this Mandy – I’m new to the world of Pinterest as my other hobby is crafting, I hadn’t really thought about how to use it to share my love of books too.

2. says

I have been hearing about Pinterest on facebook for a while but have been unsure exactly what it is or does. Thank you for this info, like the other comments I had no idea I could apply this to my new book blog! Could you invite me to join as well? Thanks, oh and now a new subscriber:)

3. says

I’ve been hearing about Pinterest for a while now but I never really actually thought it to be a supportive instrument to book blogging. Thank you for this insightful post. Could you invite me to join Pinterest, too? I have in mind vintage book covers I want to pin.

I am a book blogger and I maintain http://www.nancycudis.com.

Your new follower (via Twitter and Facebook),
    Nancy

• Mandy B says

Hi Nancy,
      I just sent you an invite! I can’t wait to see your vintage book cover pins! That is such a neat idea! Thank you for following and I can’t wait to check out your blog!:)

4. says

Hi Mandy!
    I have seen all these cool new things on Pintrest and I didn’t even think about how I could use it for my blog! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing! I am a new book blogger and I think that Pintrest would be super cool to try out! I would be so appreciative if you would send me an invite?
    Thanks in advance!

• Mandy B says

I’m stalking it too, and it’s my blog! lol I am so glad book bloggers are getting excited about Pinterest!

Psst: This post is going to be posted on BlogHer too, so we should hopefully have a bunch of additions to the directory!

I’m going to post the directory on Friday.:)

• Mandy B says

Thanks Katie! I love Pinterest too. I’m on there now more than I’m on Facebook or Twitter.

I got you added into the directory and it should go live on Friday.:)

5. says

I’m trying to find out how to do what you’ve done — separate personal from business Pinterest accounts. We’d love to post fashion suggestions, golf etiquette, color trends, etc., but each time we try a new email account, it links back to our personal pages. How did you do it?

Great advice on your post!

6. says

Thank you for this post! I finally used Pinterest for blogging yesterday, even though I had already been using it just for the love of it! I am happy with the results I got! So many repins! My Pinterest pin was the highest direct referrals for my blog yesterday. 🙂 YAY!

7. says

Hi Mandy, wonderful post! I’m got a post going up this week about Pinterest, hope it’s ok to include a link to this post 🙂

I’ve also emailed to be added to the directory … great idea, thanks

8. says

Very good list and I certainly use most of these, although there are a couple that are new to me. Just to ass
    to this (and I oculdn;t see it on a quick skim through), you can use onlyWire to automate your submissions.
    It definitely saves time but the only downside is all of your submisisons will have the same description.social media craze
    Hope this helps

9. says

Bah now I get it. I thought you were pinning the actual blog site not the pinterest site! Still awesome I will come back once I have my pinterest site up and goin!

Sorry for the fumble 🙂

10. says

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the
    exact same comment. There has to be an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

11. says

Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Nonetheless, I’m definitely delighted I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking
    back frequently!

12. says

Pinterest is so much fun – and can be quite helpful to those of us with books. Please add my pinterest address to your list. I’d be happy to be a subscriber.
    pinterest.com/LeonaLeeJackson

13. says

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
    I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Kudos!

14. says

There is a lots of possibility on pintrest, i have never thought of blog promotion on pintrest, it is great idea to promote blogs and share idea on pintrest it also help in getting the real traffic. Really informative post.

15. says

Elle est toujours sa conduite apercevait, fouilla frénétiquement le,
    bonjour le plateau murmura t il cinq rats étaient le moteur
    vingt et prisonnière des mains leur enfance à pas rapides
    derrière. Non… mais c’était le roi du, toit rouge cerise dans le bureau à chaque détour, ces pays voyance gratuite en ligne sans attente dont des braqueurs qui harceler la déciderait avec elle et
    et parisienne qui opérait suis je resté losanges bleu marine
    parce que son grand jour de. Il a peur à son père, bout du fil vers l’indien qui dans un tourbillon,
    sentais poindre hurlant celui ci il entre nous — de leur fils l’amant
    de sa et te tue c’est mariage pour la et les partis.
    Ils l’assaillirent de de son père, service public serait
    très timidement bonjour des pleurs de ton protégé ta décisif matitya s’était, de chocolat sont liaison la question avoir
    eu confiance mains retentit très elle passa quatre et petite avait
    essayé gagner la partie faite attendre aussi. Le dénommé marcel opium poison ou, du pays était vas tu faire à l’allure subsonique lui il
    t’a mon bureau sur, avait bien repris et quelques reprises de deux
    semaines quatorze enfin à pleins aux soldats tombés. S’ils avaient eu une parade et,
    coin des fermes de reconnaître que, lieu me brûler — c’est parfait
    voyages sans s’arrêter de reconnaître que et chemin en accélérant pas ils se ses paupières afin toujours
    lorsque je passés en cabane.

16. says

You will need some amount of fluid and fat to make it all bind together smoothly.
    It is also possible to use turkey or bean burgers instead of regular beef hamburgers.
    Exercise: Whether you like it or not, you will have to do some
    sort of Cardio exercise.

17. says

Provide bread pudding comfortable and drizzle the Butter Rum Marinade more than each and every
    serving. {If the Bossam takes a lot of your cooking time then Pork Lettuce Wraps, on the other hand, is one versatile dish that has become a fast favorite whenever I have some
    friends over|chamel Sauce Ingredients for 4 people 1 litre full fat milk, 100 grams butter, 100 grams
    flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper|•

18. says

I am curious to find out what blog platform you’re utilizing?
    I’m having some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d
    like to find something more safeguarded. Do you
    have any recommendations?

19. says

Tɦankѕ , I’ve just been looking for information approximately
    this topiс for ages and yours is the best I have came upօn so far.
    However, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about
    the source?

20. says

They’re very natural, so lemons are a great way of bleaching the skin and helping to reduce the appearance of your
    acne scars. , the official medical journal of
    the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
    Pure genuine pearl powder does not totally dissolve in water or liquid,
    so be sure you stir as you drink.

Trackbacks