As many of you know, I am hosting a book club on The Well-Read Wife this summer. The summer Mandy’s Blogger Book Club selection is America, You Sexy Bitch by Michael Ian Black and Meghan McCain. Click here to read more about the book and the book club. Every couple of weeks until August 15th I am going to post discussions questions focusing on different areas of the book.
How To Participate
Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion in the following ways:
- You do not have to respond to all of the questions. You can respond to all of them or choose one. You do not have to participate in the discussion to be a member of Mandy’s Blogger Book Club. This is just a fun side activity.
- If you have read the content in America, You Sexy Bitch that the questions cover (pages 32 -134) you may leave a comment on this post and participate in the discussion within the comments section.
- You can participate using the #MBBCWRW hashtag on Twitter. I have already seen lots of discussion about the book and Twitter, and I can’t wait to join in myself!
- You can write a post responding to one or all of the questions on your own blog. If you link back to this post within your discussion post, I will be happy to list your post in a roundup of America, You Sexy Bitch discussion posts under the discussion questions.
Discussion Questions For America, You Sexy Bitch by Michael Ian Black and Meghan McCain
The following questions cover pages 32 – 134 of the book:
- In the Las Vegas chapter Michael and Meghan tour the Zappos headquarters.Would you like to work there? Why? Why not?
- While in Vegas Micheal, Meghan, and co. go on a strip club tour of Vegas. Michael points out that in Vegas exotic dancers actually pay a fee to the clubs where they work for the opportunity to dance at the clubs. What do you think of this system?
- What did you think of Michael’s sneak attack lap dance from Phoenix?
- Towards the end of the Vegas chapter Meghan writes: “”would it be necessary for strip clubs to even exist if there were less rampant repression in this country?” Sexual repression in the U.S., thoughts?
- In the Salt Lake City chapter Michael writes the following: “I would prefer that my political leaders practiced their religion however they see fit in private and shut the hell up about it in public.” Agree? Disagree?
- In the Austin chapter Meghan’s friend Cargill calls himself a philosophical Republican and says that he does not support any of the current Republican candidates. Cargill remarks that he will probably vote for the president in the next election. Michael writes. “Yet he would never call himself a Democrat.” Do you agree with Michael that people are afraid of being labeled a “liberal” or a “Democrat”? Do you think people are also just as afraid of being labeled “conservative”?
- Cousin John. Discuss.
- In New Orleans, Meghan and Michael argue about health care. Whose side are you on? Meghan? Michael? Neither?
- Meghan and Michael smoke marijuana during one of their nights out in New Orleans. Meghan even writes that she believes marijuana should be legal. Do you agree? Disagree?
- Were you surprised that Meghan, a Republican thinks marijuana should be legalized?
- What are your thoughts concerning the section in the New Orleans chapter where Meghan writes about her tour of the Lower Ninth Ward?
I tried to list a wide variety of questions so I could give everyone a lot of options for discussion. If you leave a comment below, please note which question your responding to. While it’s perfectly okay to disagree with someone’s response, please be respectful in doing so. I will have a Mandy’s Bloggers Book Club Discussion Posts button at the top of my right sidebar so it will be easy to find this post. If you write a post responding to the discussion questions on your blog and link to this post within the blog post, please leave a link in the comments section, so I can include it in the discussion post round up. The official book review linky will is up now. Click here to link up your review of America, You Sexy Bitch. Click here to go to the official America, You Sexy Bitch (published by DaCapo Press) website.
Discussion Post Round Up: